Monday, July 21, 2008

Went Crazy on Apple's App Store

Once world got out on Saturday on the world premiere of the iphone 2.0 unlocking/jailbreak tool, PwnageTool, I resisted.  But only for a couple of hours.



After a number of misfires, brickings, and cries of "life is so unfair to me", I decided I should follow the directions my friend, Dave, e-mailed me.  I tried it on my 5 year-old Powerbook (I use to synch my iPhone).  That's where the bricking and crying took place.



I decided to read up on the Internet and try it on the Mac Mini. It worked!  Follow the directions.  It's just that at times, I feel like the Toolman.



Anyway, Sunday night ended with a lot of joyful experiences with the App Store.  I went crazy with the downloads.  I spent about $70 and that was just at a glance of the top apps.  Games like Super Monkey Ball and Tetris, radio apps, and social apps like Facebook.  I think in all, I downloaded 22 apps.



How easy was it?  The experience is the same as buying music and movies on iTunes.  App description- click, get app- click, wait for it to download, and sync- click.  Done.



I'm very happy with what I've seen so far granted that I have had only a few hours to play around with it.  Right off the top, I did notice that the location feature is more robust and much more accurate.  The map no longer show that I'm no longer live across town.  Now, the big blue circle is a small blue circle that shows I'm just about where I'm suppose to be.  I tried it like four times and it worked each time.  In the past, the location feature did not always work.



Dave also noticed better reception, more bars.  I did not notice anything different.



So, there you have it.



Note:  It's true that the iPhone 2.0 is prone to crashes.  Happened once when I tried to open up AOL Radio.  For those with unlocked iPhone 1.1.4 and below, the system feels a bit sluggish.  There's rumors that 2.0.1 is forthcoming.  But if you don't want to be left out of the App Store, one or two crashes is worth the trouble.  READ THE DIRECTIONS!



Some things to keep in mind:



  • After you restore your iphone with the custom 2.0 update, the iPhone itself isn't quite done yet.  It still has some stuff it doing.  Leave it alone.  It'll sort itself out.


  • You'll see a pineapple instead of the Apple logo during startup on the iPhone.  I was looking at the  iphone upside down and I panicked when I saw it.  I thought my screen was messed up.

  • This version of Pwnagetool jailbreaks the last year's iPhone and the iPhone 3G.  But it only unlocks last year's iPhone.  If you have the 3G version, you're going to have to wait a bit longer.

  • You may need to enable T-Zone again through the updater.  It's called "Cydia".  If you had used another tool to jailbreak your iPhone, it was called "Updater".

  • Keep reading the iPhone Dev Team blog for updates and information.



If you decide to go through with it, I'll be happy to answer questions or provide help based on what I did. And I like to know what apps you've downloaded.

No comments:

Apple Should Prepare to Leave China (There Is Still Time To Execute Such A Plan)

At first glance, you might think that the title of this article is a clickbait considering that China is the second biggest economy in the w...