Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mobile Tip: Make Free Calls Using an Unadvertised Feature of the Phone Networks

You didn't read that wrong.  Perfect timing to help with economic troubles we mobile warriors are likely going through.

According og Gizmo5, 11% of all US phone numbers (including mobile numbers) including those from certain carriers, such as Verizon and T-Mobile, are linked via VOIP, thus bypassing traditional phone system.  Did you know that?

What I didn't know is that we can dial directly to these numbers using a computer (or Fring on iPhone, maybe) for free.

No charge.  Nada.  If this works on Fring using the iPhone, this would totally rock!  I just got the tip today from Dave who offers tips and suggestions to Onxo.  I haven't tried it but it'll be the first thing I do when I get home.

You'll need to download Gizmo5 and set it up.

Update:  just consulted Dave and he's setting it up using Fring.  Basically, you'll need and SIP (Session Initial Protocol ) account.  It's free and open-source.
Update 2:  It works with Fring!  I was getting echos.  Badly.  I suggest you use your headset that comes with the iPhone.  I'm totally getting an iPod Touch now.

Here's the link for Gizmo5 and what I'm talking about.  ENJOY THE SAVINGS!

No comments:

Apple Should Prepare to Leave China (There Is Still Time To Execute Such A Plan)

At first glance, you might think that the title of this article is a clickbait considering that China is the second biggest economy in the w...