Monday, July 28, 2008

Mobile Entertainment - Ebooks (Free!)

I hope I didn't mislead when you read the word "free".  Well, it really depends on what you're looking for.



If you're looking for the latest modern works, then my deepest apology.  However, if you're looking for great works whose copyright have expired (at the very least, in the United States), then let me introduce you to the Gutenberg Project.  If you already know a bit about it, I hope there's something in it for you as well.





The Gutenberg Project is one of the hidden treasures of the Internet.  With over twenty-five thousand books, they are free for you to download.  You can download them as html or txt.  There is also an option to download entire CDs or DVDs worth of some of the best work in literary history.



You can read the interesting history behind the project and about the man, Michael Hart, who started it all in 1971.  The project consists the hard labor of volunteers who worked tireless to make this possible.  At the rate of 50 books a week added to the collection, foreign books are also being added (French, German, Chinese).



Along with its international affliates, there are over one hundred thousand books available for your mobile devices.  We're not going to find  Clancy's Jack Ryan but we'll be able to join Tom Sawyer through his adventures.



For me, the original dynamic duo, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. James Watson lives in my iPhone, Zire 72, and on my iDisk where I am always welcomed at 221B Baker Street.



I highly recommend giving it a try.  Mark Twain.  Burroughs.  Dickens.  A bit of Jules Verne and H. G. Wells for you scifi buffs.  And if you like it very much, you can get involved as a volunteer or make a small donation.



I hope you enjoy it.  Ah...it's like traveling back to high school English during your junior year again.  I suppose it's one way to relive high school again :)



Note:  Besides being able to download all the works from GP, there are now audiobooks available as well.  I also recently discovered that they've got digital music sheets as well.

No comments:

Apple Should Prepare to Leave China (There Is Still Time To Execute Such A Plan)

At first glance, you might think that the title of this article is a clickbait considering that China is the second biggest economy in the w...