Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Netbook: Race To The Bottom - Next Stop $200

That is correct.  When the XO from One Laptop Per Child started, all the rage was how we were going to see XO running all day long that would cost only $100.  Well, that certainly fell short.

Sorry, I had to vent.  But now, Asus promises $200 EEE PC in 2009 and I'm more inclined to believe this one.

Should you get one then?  Definitely, my fellow mobile warriors.  If you don't, well, okay.  But at $200, it's quite a steal when it happens.  But I can't tell wonder about this race to the bottom.

I've got two concerns.  First is the $200 price.  Great for mobile warriors to be certain.  But you have to also wonder about how this will affect the whole market including companies that make them.  And it is certainly going to affect the laptop segment of the market as well.

The second concern I have is the quality of the screen.  I love the LED on my MacWind and I'm sure others do as well.

We'll just have to see where this goes.

Note:  I am still waiting for domestic (US) wireless providers follow their EU counterparts to bundle netbooks with wireless services.  It's a no-brainer.  Why aren't they doing it already?

No comments:

Apple Should Prepare to Leave China (There Is Still Time To Execute Such A Plan)

At first glance, you might think that the title of this article is a clickbait considering that China is the second biggest economy in the w...