Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Location, Location, Location

After the app store, I set up Loopt on and called my friend. Well, you know, Dave the Mobile Warrior. Anyway, there were enough of us so we got bored and uninstalled it.

Then there's Google's Latitude, which works on the G1 just fine. The iPhone too except you have to use Safari since there is no standalone Latitude app for the iPhone. See, Apple rejected it.

But I wonder how many folks actually use these geo locators. To put it in a better term, friend locator. I have yet to find a compelling reason to use such services. Tagging pictures and video. I'm okay with that. However, I don't see the need to broadcast to everyone where I am every single moment of my life.

I can see one possible scenario where I might contemplate using Latitude. That's if I go on vacation and I want to folks at home to know where I'm visiting. This allows them to zoom in on my location and, if there is Street View available, they can get a sense of where I am and what I'm seeing around me.

Even so, locations can be spoofed. I've done it while testing Latitude out.

If you use Latitude, Loopt, or any other services, let me know how you like it and how you're using it.

No comments:

Apple Should Prepare to Leave China (There Is Still Time To Execute Such A Plan)

At first glance, you might think that the title of this article is a clickbait considering that China is the second biggest economy in the w...