Friday, September 3, 2010

RIP: Cellular Phone Plans, September 3, 2010

I mark today the death of regular cell phone plans. Well, the beginning of a long but certain process to see the end of mobile phone plans. Why now? Well, if not now, when? If now me, who?

So, let's mark this day. And how?

By turning my G1 into mifi device. I've told everyone my T-Mobile number will no number work (which isn't true) and they ought to call my Skype ID or Skype number or Google Voice number. I haven't set up forwarding calls to my Google number to my Skype number yet but in time, I will.

Furthermore, starting today, I am going to truly go mobile and tethering completely via the G1 and T-Mobile 3G network. In the last week, the 3G speed has doubled most of the areas I frequent. I think HSPA+ has been turned on. Perfect timing for my little scheme.

While I'm very interested in the Samsung Galaxy S or the THC G2, I don't know if I'm willing to pay an extra $50 a month for a voice plan that I use once or twice a month.

So, the death of the voice plan begins for me. And in the circle of mobile warriors I hang around with, they're mostly headed down the same road I'm on. Right now, I'm at work, streaming "First Contact" on my iPhone via G1. I know, but it is Friday.

So this weekend, I'm gonna tether the heck out of my G1 and hope that T-Mobile doesn't say anything. Otherwise, I'll simply take my money and head over to Virgin Mobile and its $40 unlimited wireless access. It's more than the $25 I'm playing for just data but less than the $85 I'm paying for data and voice with T-Mobile.

I'll report back from time to time on how it goes. But i think I'm hardly going to to missing having a traditional cell function.

No comments:

Apple Should Prepare to Leave China (There Is Still Time To Execute Such A Plan)

At first glance, you might think that the title of this article is a clickbait considering that China is the second biggest economy in the w...