Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Social Media Tip: Using Twitter To Get Temperature Updates

I'm a weather nut.  This is especially true right now in Southern California where we are going through one of the worst droughts, if not the worst, in history.  All along, I'm hearing about the white winter that everyone not on the West Coast is experiencing, albeit more than they want.

What go me thinking about getting weather updates is that I was trying to figure out how to get Windows 7 to give me weather updates without me downloading an app.  Then I realized that I've been getting traffic updates via Twitter for socal's clogged freeways.  So, why not weather too?

So, I searched Twitter and typed in "weather Los Angeles".

You can even get weather updates for Sochi, Russia (Twitter) where the Winter Olympics is about to start.  See whether they even have snow to speak of.


Oh, here is another one for Vancouver, Canada (Twitter).


I've checked a few other cities, major cities.  Most metropolises have a Twitter weather account of one sort or another but when you get to get deeper into smaller cities or towns, you're in the hit-and-miss area.

For instance, Taipei, Taiwan doesn't really have one that I could find but you can get close with news Twitter account like this one below.


Here is a list of other major cities that I can think of that I could also quickly find Twitter accounts on weather.  
  • Cupertino, California
  • Manhattan, NY (Twitter Search Results)
  • Tokyo, Japan
  • Beijing, China
  • London, England (Twitter Search Results) - doesn't seem to have one dedicated Twitter account.
  • Paris, France
  • New Delhi, India (Twitter Search Results) - even without a specific account, you can still create a Twitter search that give you a general idea of how things are based on tweets from various sources.
  • Cairo, Egypt (Twitter Search Results) - again, no specific account but I do know that it snowed there for the first time in 100 years!
  • Mexico City, Mexico (Twitter Search Results) - Tropical Storm Sonia is plowing through!  Stay safe, my friends!
  • Hong Kong, China - HK actually has a lot of Twitter accounts dedicated to weather but only this one seems to be keeping the information updated.  You might want to make sure whatever city you're looking to add into your Twitter feed for weather or any other specific information does keep things up-to-date. 
  • Stockholm, Sweden - boy, it's cold!
On the next post, I'll see if I can find information for air quality or other environmental information.  I reckon that'll be a bit harder to find.  In fact, I'm considering creating a list of information that we can find useful on Twitter at any given time.  

Note: Keep in mind that the information on Twitter are not always updated and we are at the mercy of those who own and update the accounts.

No comments:

Apple Should Prepare to Leave China (There Is Still Time To Execute Such A Plan)

At first glance, you might think that the title of this article is a clickbait considering that China is the second biggest economy in the w...