Thursday, July 1, 2021

Coding Adventures - Coding A Choose Your Own Adventure App

 Update on my coding adventure:

It's been busy. Good busy but even that can get a little much at times.  So, I've started a process that I use for my personal life and work for my adventures into learning to code and coming up with something  remotely useful.

First, Python.  I did lessons on variables, strings, booleans, and loops. I am still chugging along.  I’ve done list else where and touched on functions. With the long weekend coming (BTW, happy Fourth of July, everyone and stay safe), I have plenty of time to hack away at beginner projects.  And I like writing so I thought I would try a basic text adventure.  

It has not been easy for me since I’m juggling work, family, and trying to work on the garden and yard, not to mention other projects.  I’ve been using a personal 10-minute rule.

So, the 10-minute rule is where I stop all work early before the end of the day and I write down important points and I need to do the next time.  It has been quite effective and I find myself lost if I go too long without doing this mental exercise. I do it for my personal/family life and I do it for work.  

I’ve started doing one just for coding and the last couple of days, I find myself being able to hit the ground running when I get back into it. Right now, I’ve given myself 150 days to really do some damage, if you will, in the coding world - really put what I learn into it.

Swift - this has been going slower because I just have not put in the time to do it.  Honestly, it’s about me being too comfortable and complacent. 

With iPadOS 15 beta, I read that Apple will allow coders to submit apps to the App Store.  I’m frankly very excited about this on so many levels.  First, there is a future when a Mac is no longer needed and users only need an iPad to do development.  And second, I’m more of an iPad fan and there is simply no hard choice on that front.  Even now, I only use my MacBook for work because of Excel.  And third and lastly, I enjoy the mobility the iPad provides.

I just installed iPadOS this week so I’m very excited about the new features, particularly Playground and Swift.  I’ll be back to report on my progress.

If you’re interested in joining me on your own coding adventure, it’s never too late to start.  


No comments:

Apple Should Prepare to Leave China (There Is Still Time To Execute Such A Plan)

At first glance, you might think that the title of this article is a clickbait considering that China is the second biggest economy in the w...