Monday, December 1, 2008

Mobility - Black Friday

On Black Friday, I woke up at 3am and go to Best Buy to rendezvous with a friend who knew what to do as far as shopping on the first official shopping day of the Holiday Seasons.  Instead, it was a crack team of my friend, his fiance, and little cousins who had scoped out the place (I should say places because they had other places to hit after that).

Me?  Totally unprepared.  Not even coffee.  Luckily, they gave me a peanut butter and cranberry sandwich.  But they were ready.  Ads.  Primary objectives.  Secondary targets.  In military and strategic sense, they ran a very tight and discipleined op.

But seeing what I saw that early morning, my friend's little special shopping operations team was nowhere nearly as sophisticated as some of the other ones.  What I was saw a bunch of mobile warriors with phones and laptops continually staying in touch with their "other team members" at Office Depot, Circuity, and God knows where else.  They looked up sites for pricing updates and latest deals.

I had my G1 and I dropped it twice.  Man, I have to say, it was incredible what mobile technology has enabled folks to do.  I wondered how the people with laptops were able to get online.  I'm guess through a wireless modem but there was also a Starbucks that sat in the middle of the mobile actions so it's also possible people were using ATT or T-Mobile's Wi-Fi hotspots.

Anyway, I'm impressed by how mobile devices were brought into these shopping missions.  I didn't get anything because, well, there was nothing I really need (however, lots that I want).  Maybe if I see a better deal the week of Christmas, I might consider something nice and small for meself.

No comments:

Apple Should Prepare to Leave China (There Is Still Time To Execute Such A Plan)

At first glance, you might think that the title of this article is a clickbait considering that China is the second biggest economy in the w...